When you consider the challenges of dealing with Facebook EDGErank you know you are in for a challenge. Facebook engagement tactics are no longer a walk in the park.
The study of the lifetime of a Facebook post referred to was done by Edgerank Checker. If we choose to believe that this data is reliable – and I think it is – then it is clear that frequency of messaging has to change. And that is a challenge in itself for most brands and organizations.
The challenge lies in the content you are able to produce and make available to your Facebook audience whilst staying true to your purpose, objectives and brand DNA. On one side you have to figure out your best Facebook engagement tactics. On the other hand ensure that your Facebook fans will keep on liking you.
If a post on Facebook has a lifetime of 3 hours, and your audience is using Facebook – say – 16 hours each day, you would have to be prepared to deliver 5-6 posts every day. Not counting the repetition of posts, that translates into 35 – 40 posts every week, or more than 150 posts each month.
So – as you have heard so many times before – the success lies in your content.
Facebook engagement tactics tips for you
In my opinion an engaging Facebook page should expertly balance various types of content, for example;
- value adding content, for example content that educates or nurtures your audience depending on what your purpose is
- fun content, for example funny pictures – these can be completely unrelated to your purpose. See example
- interactive content, for example content that would require your audience to offer their opinion – works best if it has relevance to your content concept
- incentivized content, for example quizzes that offer prizes, sweepstakes
- provocative content, for example content with an edge (see here for an example)
But it has to be done if you want to leverage your Facebook presence to the maximum.
I am currently conducting some experiments on Facebook that puts all of this to the test. In these experiments I use all of my marketing skills to conduct an unbiased test. It is exciting, but also a lot of work. So the big question for me, and for everyone else, is how to make all of that work pay off. ….
PS: Whatever you do in the fun department, make sure that most of your fun posts are related to your purpose (your brand), your target audience and stays true to the credo of your business and brand.